For those pesto fanatics (like myself), this baked pesto chicken recipe is a tummy pleaser. If you are not a pesto fan, then audios until next time! Although, you should probably try it out anyway and you might end up a pesto convert. Grab the four ingredients listed below, and in thirty-five minutes you can have a quintessential, home-cooked meal.
- 6 chicken tenderloins, boneless (Or 3-4 boneless chicken breasts)
- 4 tbsp pesto sauce (Or enough to completely cover chicken)
- 1/4-1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (Or any cheese you like. I used crumbled feta cheese, but if this is your first time cooking this recipe I highly recommend mozzarella cheese)
- 2 tomatoes (I used Roma tomatoes)
First, pre-heat oven to 400F.
Second, I used frozen chicken tenderloins. You can also use chicken breasts, although you may have to cook it longer depending on the thickness. I thawed out six chicken tenderloins, which serves about 3-4 people. Place tenderloins in lightly greased or tin foil lined pan.
Third, spoon out pesto sauce to completely cover tenderloins. I used about 4 tablespoons total, but use as much as you need to cover all of your chicken.
Fourth, sprinkle cheese over the pesto. Here you can choose which route to take. Typically, this dish is made with shredded mozzarella cheese, however, I used crumbled feta cheese and it still tasted delicious.
Fifth, top off the cheese with tomatoes, sliced about half an inch thick. I used to slices of tomato per chicken tenderloin. Then you can sprinkle even more cheese on top of the tomatoes if you want. I chose only to do one layer of cheese underneath the tomatoes. If you use shredded mozzarella cheese, another option would be to do pesto, tomato, cheese in that order.
Sixth, bake for 20-25 minutes, or longer depending on how thick your chicken is.
Baked Pesto Chicken
- 6 frozen boneless chicken tenderloins, thawed Or, 3-4 boneless chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp pesto sauce
- 2 tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese Or, crumbled feta cheese
Pre-heat oven to 400F.
Place chicken tenderloins in a lightly greased, or tin foil lined pan.
Spoon out pesto sauce to completely cover chicken.
Place 2-3 sliced tomatoes on top of each chicken tenderloin.
Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese, or cheese of choice.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, or longer depending on how thick your chicken is.
Share this recipe with your friends ♥